Soon after we moved into our house nearly nine years ago Kevin planted a butterfly garden for me. Over the years it has attracted numerous butterflies and hummingbirds. Well. this year when I saw some monarch caterpillars crawling on the milkweed I thought it would be fun to raise them. So I bought one inside and put it in this butterfly tent thing. The next day when I was get more food - boy these guys can eat, I found three more caterpillars. Here are a few pictures...
One of the caterpillars was getting ready to make its chrysalis. It is truly amazing!
Not sure if you can see the two caterpillars hanging and eating leaves.
Monday morning our first butterfly emerged.
After a few hours, of allowing its wings to dry, we released it. Maddie, who recently has not wanted to feed dolphins or giraffes wanted to hold it.
The butterfly didn't want to stay on Maddie's hand. Instead it flew into her hair. She was so brave (considering the screaming at the San Antonio Zoo butterlfy exhibit) to allow he to take some pictures.
Today, Thursday, our second butterfly emerged. Our first butterfly we named Lady. This second butterfly Allie really wanted to name "Daddy". Thankfully he emerged a male. You can tell by the two spots near the center, lower part of his wings.
Allie wanted Daddy in her hair. So I was able to get a few pictures of her and Daddy butterfly.
They are truly amazing creatures. We have two more chrysalis and looking forward to having to more butterflies.
No comments:
Post a Comment